Saturday 24 March 2012

Luxury Flapjack (Alternative Alpen Bars)

I used to really enjoy stuff like Nature Valley & Alpen Bars - granola bars are great when you want something sweet bar don't want a chocolate bars, I just wish they were gluten free. 

So I have made my own version (which I adapted from a Nigel Slater recipe), which delicious and easy to make win-win :)
The Ingredients
50g chopped nuts
50g sultanas

50g red & black currents (I got these from Waitrose Essential Frozen Berries, I defrosted them first)
30g pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp ground almonds
50g organic butter or soya or olive spread
100g xylitol
2 tbsp agave syrup or maple syrup
200g gluten free  oats
100g dark xylitol chocolate



The Method

Turn the oven on to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
 

Mix the oats, nuts, seeds and fruit together in a bowl.

In a pan melt the butter/spread with the xylitol and syrup, don't stir too much and allow to melt together gradually.

Once melted mix in the oats/fruit/nuts and spread the mixture out evenly in an tray - I used a non-stick 20cm square cake tin.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.
 

Once baked cool the flapjack on a cooling rack. Once completely cool cut them into small rectangles - I made 12 from this.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. 

Once the chocolate is completely melted dip the flapjacks in. I used a rubber spatula to feel spread the chocolate to cover about half of the flapjacks. You need to be gentle otherwise the flapjacks will crumble. 

Place on a plate (covered with baking parchment or similar).

Allow to chill for at least 20 minutes in the fridge before serving.


Nom nom nom...

No comments:

Post a Comment