Saturday 9 February 2013

Leftovers Frittata

I don't like throwing away food. Never have. Forcing myself to finish an entire plate of food, when I'm full isn't a good idea. Although, I have done this in the past. 

So I had one gluten free sausage*, some baked beans** and some homemade potato wedges leftover from a Sunday night. I pondered what I could do with these to make it into Monday lunch and not waste the food. 

Like a bolt of lightening I had a flashback, a week or so before I had been at the Churchill War Rooms. A fascinating place with a rather nice cafe, where I'd had veggie frittata and salad. It did seem a little strange to be underground in a place that hadn't changed since the end of world war 2 and eating frittata and salad (with a cup of tea no less) but there you are, it was the most gluten free friendly thing I could see on the menu. Once I'd seen people order the soup I got food or should I say cup envy as the soup was served in these tin marvels (with glutened up bread):
Soup mugs @ the Churchill War Rooms
These seemed much more in keeping with the age and atmosphere of the place. Anyhoo, I digress. This is a long winded way of saying, I remembered the frittata and thought I'd have a go at making it with my leftovers. 

To get the basics of the recipes and timings, I spent a couple of minutes on the BBC Good Food site / app, this is often my starting point for this kind of thing. 

I chopped up the sausage and wedges, put them in a small enamel dish with the beans. Whisked up two eggs with a splash of milk and poured it over the contents of the enamel dish. Bunged it in the oven at 180c (fan) for about 25 minutes and it was done and looking pie like - which is a good thing in my book.
Leftovers get a new lease of life



I ate this the next day cold, I'm the kind of person that will eat cold whatever I eat hot generally. But, it would have been nice to save the leftovers and make it the next day and eat it freshly baked. 
Inside the frittata

This is the right amount for a lunch for one or can be shared as a light meal with some lovely salad for two. My first frittata and I used up the leftover - double plus good. 

*The Black Farmer Gluten Free Pork Sausages
** Whole Earth Baked Beans
 

No comments:

Post a Comment