Friday 8 March 2013

Gluten free pecan blondies

This is the first time that I have attempted blondies. I think this is because I am always drawn to brownies, its hard to see beyond squidgy intensely chocolately delights. It was my love of pecans that persuaded me to go to the light side and I have to say, I'm glad I did - I very much enjoyed them! I feel like my horizons have been expanded :) This recipe was adapted from the Vanilla Sugar blog.

Blondies, not brownies!
The ingredients 
150g unsalted organic butter or a non-diary spread of your choice (at room temp)
200g ground almond
175g gluten free four
1 (heaped) teaspoon baking powder
3/4 ts salt
250g xylitol
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup chopped, toasted pecans 

The method
The vanilla sugar blog suggests a slight under baking to keep them very moist, but baking times can be adjusted to your preference. Slightly longer baking makes them more spongy and cake like. You can also replace the gluten free flour with more ground almond as in the original recipe. I used flour as I didn't have enough ground almond. They are tasty either way!

Preheat oven to 180C (fan).

Line a 20cm baking pan with parchment paper.

In medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

In a another bowl, mix the eggs, and vanilla extract until combined.

In a large bowl, mix the butter and xylitol in the bowl of an electric whisk, cream on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. 

Then add in egg mixture, mix well, then add in the dry ingredients and pecans and mix till combined. 

Pour batter into prepared pan; spread with a rubber spatula.

Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into blondies comes out “almost” clean.

Leave to cool slightly and cut into squares. Can be enjoyed both warm and cool. Most certainly comforting on a wintery day. If your still having those, as London is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment