Friday 19 April 2013

Gluten Free Breakfast Series Recipe No.4 - World Champion Porridge

I caught an repeated episode of Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking the other day, the episode focusing on contrasting temperatures, all different recipes put combining hot and cold. Nigel visited a guy in Scotland; 'where the best porridge comes from'. This guy, Ian Bishop, has been perfecting his porridge recipe for 18 years, and is a world champion porridge maker, so he obviously knows what he's talking about. It seemed like a golden opportunity to add to my recipe series and try a breakfast of champions, before the weather gets to hot for porridge, hopefully this is not wishful thinking.

Ian's instructions were very precise and I have noted them here, in case you too want to try award winning porridge, its worth trying at least one, its delicious, it does seem a labour of love, more time and effort than I've put into my porridge before but it was worth it. This recipe serves 1.

First you need 1 part oatmeal and 3 parts water. To get the oatmeal I simply blended a 1/3 of a cup of gluten free oats for a few seconds and added it to a saucepan on a medium heat with a cup of water.

Stir frequently. When the first 'bubbles' appear add a little salt, roughly a 1/2 a teaspoon. Now stir continuously for 5 minutes, apparently its important to only stir clockwise :) in this time it seemed the porridge thickened, tightened and then loosen several times, I wasn't always sure if it would end up with the right on texture, but I kept in mind this is an experts recipe, so I stuck to the instructions.

After the 5 minutes, pour the porridge into your bowl, add some cinnamon, honey, jam and a splosh of cold milk. And then enjoy this wonderful concoction.

Ideally I guess you should use heather honey,  homemade jam and milk fresh from the cow this morning. Being the city dweller I am I used organic honey from the St Dalfour sugar free strawberry Jam and lactofree milk. It probably won't make me champion of the world, but it was rather a lovely breakfast. You can watch Nigel and Ian at work for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TcTGMePJohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TcTGMePJo.

No comments:

Post a Comment